Modding Pop Vinyls
I wanted to make a custom pop vinyl. I had seen other people do it and it looked fun. It looked like a quick way to learn/sharpen some skills for cheap. Also everything I have learned about modding pop vinyls I learned from Britfang Cosplay. Check him out. Oh yes.
I have a friend who likes pop vinyls, and that person has a birthday. So it was time to make a pop vinyl. The one problems I have found with pop vinyls is all the popular characters have been done. So I decided to do an interrogation scene Black Widow. I think it is an impressive scene. She is in control the entire time.
This is what I came up with.
There is already a Black Widow Pop Vinyl. I purchased one. And used the head. Thus the head is done.
I looked for a female pop vinyl with a dress and a v neck-line. I ended up with Six from Battle Star Galatia. I had trouble finding a specific pop vinyl with this dress. I went to all the stores at the mall. That was a bad idea. I found a Facebook group, the Funko Pop Checklist, that is nothing but a list of all the Pop Vinyls. I could just scroll down and see them all. PERFECT.
I soaked Six in hot water and the head popped right off. The Black Widow head is a bobble head, and Six is not. So I covered the black widow head in masking tape, so I couldn't damage it.
The inside of the Black Widow head. It is very open. Also you can see the Six body with it's plug.
To fill the head I added some expanding foam. I added too much.
While the expanding foam was curing I painted Six's dress black. I used a very small paint brush, and a tooth pick.
I cut away the giant mass of excess expandy foam. The inside still wasn't cured. A little googling, and I found out that if you add water, it can speed up the curing. I tried it. It works, it expanded more. I let it finish curing for a weekend. Then I carved enough out for the body to fit. I wasn't sure how glue would react with the foam. So I sealed the expanding foam with mod podge. I them used epoxy to secure the body to the head.
I used some flesh tone paint and added rips in the body of the pop vinyl. I also used some black acrylic paint and mod podge (1 paint to 10 mod podge ratio) to paint on panty hose. I painted over the panty hose with flesh tone paint to make rips.
I super glued some twine to the wrists for the rope. I was concerned about the glue and the body. So I used tape as a buffer.
In the movie she is wearing a gold necklace, and a gold bracelet on her right wrist. And her dress has a silver zipper on the back. I didn't have any acrylic paint those colors. But I did have spray paint. If you spray paint on something else (like a trash bag), you can make a puddle. It takes a few seconds to dry. I grabbed a tooth pick and painted on the necklace, bracelet, and zipper.
The person this pop vinyl is going to does not take them out of the box, I think.
So I took the Six box apart. I taped over the clear part. And I spray painted the entire box white.
I cut apart the Black Widow box. I wanted the Black Widow head.And the pop vinyl logo. To get the stripes on the pop vinyl box consistent in color I printed the design below. And cut them out. This also allowed me to type with name. I have sloppy hand writing. Writing in white on red can be difficult. But printing is super easy! Also I found a lot of people think the pop vinyl font is bebas neue (link)
And this is the end result!
And yes. With a little itty bitty piece of worbla, I made a cell phone. It is in her hand. A flip phone. I painted a screen and buttons.